The Leynard Legacy Grant supports projects that will improve our community's awareness, knowledge and understanding of the natural and cultural history of the Nanaimo area. Individuals and organizations based in the Nanaimo area are eligible to apply. The program provides a one-time only cash award to an individual or community group that encourages creative community engagement in our heritage.
The value of a grant is subject to available funds. Applications are now open and the deadline has been extended until October 27, 2023.
Leynard Legacy Grant Guidelines
- The project’s purpose must be connected to the natural or cultural history of the Nanaimo area.
- The project's objective must include creating awareness and understanding of persons, events (natural and human), structures or activities that occurred within the Nanaimo area
- Grants may be awarded to an individual, a society or community group
- The value of a grant will depend on available funds.
Activities the Nanaimo Historical Society will fund may include
- Internships for a specific project
- Projects done in partnership with other organizations
- Direct project costs i.e. copying, printing, permission fees
- Advocacy projects (except those of a partisan political nature)
Activities the Nanaimo Historical Society will not fund include:
- Projects whose primary focus is outside the Nanaimo area
- Travel and accommodation, administration costs, fundraising events, multiyear projects
- Special events not related to the natural or cultural history within the Nanaimo area.
- Projects of a partisan political nature.
For more information about the program, email: email@example.com